3D Laser Scanning (3DLS) Overview
ARGO NAVIS MARINE CONSULTING & ENGINEERING LTD. can offer 3D laser scanning services which may be very helpful for the retrofitting of equipment like Ballast Water Treatment Systems, for modification works and for installation of energy efficient equipment on vessel’s hull.3D laser scanning is an advantageous tool which:
- Provides an accurate and efficient solution for fitting BWTS on board.
- Provides 3D representation of the “as built” arrangement on board, through the point cloud, which is the processed scan result.
- Is a fast process which does not disturb vessel’s normal operation.
- Eliminates the risks associated with manual measurement.
- With the use of scan results, production drawings and materials lists can be developed followed by retrofit specification and eventual prefabrication.
- Different options can be compared in case the owner has shortlisted more than one candidate BWT system.
- It is possible to see how the system will fit before any further actions taken.
For the retrofitting of energy efficient equipment which improves vessel’s performance, it is possible that hull surfaces are created in various formats and consequently lines plan drawing from the generated point cloud after scanning of ship’s hull, absolutely necessary for the design of tailor-made fittings.