Ballast Water Treatment Systems (BWTS) Overview
ARGO NAVIS MARINE CONSULTING & ENGINEERING LTD. can offer the following services regarding BWTS:
TECHNO – ECONOMICAL STUDY, which includes the following (for each different ship design):
Review of information and preparation of a technical and commercial evaluation of various systems, which includes the following for each specific supplier:
- Treatment process description
- System testing, regulatory review and certification
- Vessel types which the system is expected to serve
- System’s characteristics (capacity / power required related with capacity / unit dimensions related with capacity / unit weight related with capacity).
- Treatment process at ballasting / de-ballasting
- Filter’s cleaning
- Flow reduction
- Effect of the efficacy with respect to salinity and temperature
- Maintenance requirements
- Operational complexity
- Health and safety issues
- Coatings’ protection / affect
- Other in-service requirements
- Controls and alarms
- Purchase cost for various flow rates and tank capacities
- Operating / Maintenance cost for various flow rates and capacities
- Complexity / feasibility of installation
- Service network
- Delivery time for supply
- Vendor’s experience
Also, vendor comparison tables are developed and attached as the last part of the study for Client’s reference.
The study is presented to the Client, concluding in the proposal for selection of up to three makers specifically for each ship design for further detail investigation and feasibility studying.
SURVEY ON BOARD, which may include the following:
- Attendance on board each vessel by two Engineers at any convenient port, in order to investigate feasibility of installation of different pre-selected ballast water treatment systems, as specified by the Client prior attendance. All necessary areas will be scanned by a 3D laser scanner and the generated point cloud will be used to evaluate / verify the different installation layouts. Duration of attendance on board is one day, if all necessary support is provided.
- After completion of scanning, 3D modeling of the different pre-selected ballast water treatment systems and their main piping will be performed. The 3D modeling will be reviewed with the use of the output of the 3D scan of the areas chosen for new equipment components’ installation in order that their preliminary arrangement feasibility is evaluated. This feasibility study results will be taken into consideration for the final selection of the system to be installed and is considered the preliminary stage of the installation study.
ENGINEERING STUDY, which may include the following:
- Performance of an engineering study for one finally selected system per vessel, based on available documentation and onboard survey results and including the complete proposal with the ballast water treatment system modeled, the piping routing (including piping isometric drawings, materials and parts list), the specification of structure, outfitting modifications and Class required drawings.
- Preparation of all necessary modifications of the “as built” drawings (hull, piping, outfitting, electrical).
- Submittal of those drawings specified to the Client for their comment and approval. On receipt of the Client’s comments, ARGO NAVIS will revise the affected drawings accordingly to obtain the necessary approvals.
- Preparation of the required drawings which will be submitted to vessel’s Classification Society and / or Flag State as necessary, for approval.
- Preparation of technical specification of modification / retrofitting, in order to be submitted to various shipyards or repair facilities for quoting.